ABILENE, Texas - As we begin to wrap up our Dave Campbell's Texas Football district previews, we hit class 2A with just 26 days until the start of fall camp.
In district 4 of DI, it’s all about the Anson Tigers, picked 11th in the preseason top 20 poll.
Chris Hagler's team made the fourth round for the first time last season before falling to Abernathy, and now with preseason defensive MVP pick Chris Jones back along with 12 starters -- the Tigers will need its younger offense to step up if they should make a run for back-to-back district titles.
Just to the south of Anson, we find Hawley, who returns now-4th year starting quarterback Quay Stokes.
Stokes’ incredible career now has him nearing the 10,000 rush and pass career yard milestone, and heading into 2017, was picked as preseason offensive MVP.
Mitch Abeles and company have 14 veterans back on a team that struggled at the end of the year with injuries, as it has its eyes on furthering last year's area round exit.
And then there’s Stamford, who had almost a brand new team last year – coming off a winless district season.
But Ronnie Casey's Bulldogs have all its men back from the rebuild year, including top returnee Lonnie Applin who will play both ways, as the 2013 state title winners look to turn things around this season.
Dave Campbell’s Texas Football – Preseason Rankings
*- projected to miss playoffs
- DACA advocates march in front of Abilene City Hall
- Local officers collected tips at Red Robin for Special Olympics Texas
- Busch Jewelers in Abilene going out of business after 73 years
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene youth league coaches suspended for extending middle fingers in team photo
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Brownwood plant manager: No injuries from minor explosion
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman