IRVING, Texas (AP) - Tony Romo had back surgery and will miss Dallas' third straight season finale with the NFC East title and a playoff berth on the line.
Coach Jason Garrett said Romo underwent surgery Friday after consultation with doctors during the week following his injury in a win over Washington.
Kyle Orton will start for the Cowboys in the winner-take-all game against Philadelphia on Sunday night.
Romo lost the past two winner-take-all finales - to the New York Giants two years ago and Washington last season. He also lost to the Eagles in the same situation in 2008.
Philadelphia (9-6) is trying to complete a worst-to-first turnaround from a 4-12 season under first-year coach Chip Kelly. The Cowboys (8-7) want to end a three-year playoff drought.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Fire danger Tuesday with very warm and windy conditions
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck