ABILENE, Texas - Frontage roads in Abilene can be a little tricky, especially when using the on or off ramps to the roads they serve.
Drivers exiting onto some of the highway frontage roads around Abilene, and drivers have to prepare for some oncoming traffic.
"This is the most dangerous off-ramp in Abilene. You're looking backwards and you're looking up; that's the worst thing," said Bobby Walker.
Walker said he battles the scary situation with the frontage roads on his daily drive to work.
The city of Abilene has taken notice.
On Monday, members of the Abilene Metropolitan Planning Organization, TxDOT and city officials took a tour of the areas that could see a welcome update.
They're looking to change frontage roads off Highway 83-84, Loop 322 and I-20.
Once complete, the city hopes it will create consistency on the roadways that will, in turn, mean a safer drive.
"I still remember in front of Lowe's, the couple that died. They were in town for a rodeo," said Abilene Mayor Norm Archilbald.
Updating the roads will cost millions and require shifting traffic to make sure people can still access their homes and businesses, but the city said it's a price they will pay for safety.
The work along I-20 is expected to begin in the next few months.
Planning for work on Highway 83-84 and Loop 322 is still in the beginning stages.
- Updated 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Updated Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- Prominent Texas personal injury attorney dies week after daughter's suicide
- KTXS Forecast: One last shot of rain today, then much colder air arrives by mid-week
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade