MERKEL, Texas - During Merkel's 48-22 victory at Stanton, senior Cole Wilkerson did something not even gunslinging quarterbacks can usually do.
The Badger needed just eight completions to rack up 240 yards -- an average of 30 yards per completion -- to go along with three touchdowns, and 85 rushing yards.
"That's all Jonah [White] and Zach [Owens]," said Wilkerson. "They make plays and make me look good."
Wilkerson's main target was White, a speedy junior receiver, who hauled in six passes for 154 yards and two scores, including a 75-yarder.
"He's a pretty good quarterback, and he's smart," White said. "He's a pretty good leader. He'll get on to you if ain't workin' hard."
For the past two seasons Wilkerson has worn number 30, an unusual uniform number for a quarterback, but it holds a special meaning.
"One of my friends asked me to wear it for him because his brother passed away," said Wilkerson. "He took on the number and he wanted me to carry it on for him."
Wilkerson's friend, Austin Newberry, wore number 30 after his brother, Michael, passed away in October of 2013.
Wilkerson said seeing the number on his jersey or the side of his helmet inspires him to give his best.
"I looked up to [Austin] a lot my freshman and sophomore years because he was the starting quarterback. It makes me want to play a lot harder.
"Play for him. Play for his brother."
- Abilene Police: Driver in Thanksgiving crash may be charged with intoxication assault
- 1 dead after shootout with Hays County deputies
- Abilene mother, daughter experience Black Friday shopping for first time
- DPS trooper shot dead near Dallas, suspect in custody
- KTXS Forecast: A little cool down for the weekend
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country