ABILENE, Texas -

Fire officials say a child playing with a lighter caused a blaze at an Abilene garage apartment Thursday night, resulting in $10,000 to $20,000 of damage.

The garage was behind a house in the 1900 block of Grand Avenue. The fire started in the upstairs apartment about 7:30 p.m.

According to the Abilene Fire Department, flames were showing out of two windows when firefighters arrived, but the blaze was quickly extinguished.

A woman and two kids were in the apartment at the time but got out without injury.  Firefighters say a rabbit died in the fire.