ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University volleyball kept its hot start to 2017 going by winning its American Southwest Conference opener at home versus crosstown rival Hardin Simmons University, 3-1. The War Hawks (7-2, 1-0 ASC) defeated the Cowgirls (23-7, 1-1 ASC) by set scores of 25-17, 20-25, 25-23, 25-17 before a crowd of 578 at Kimbrell Arena.
Fans from two local colleges also engaged in a friendly “competition” in raising money for the purchase of “Flood Buckets” of cleaning supplies to aid the victims of Hurricane Harvey. And the faithful from each school came through big, raising just over $850 total.
On the court, McM easily controlled set one, winning 25-17. HSU’s lone set win of the night came in second, but it took a while. With the Cowgirls ahead 21-17, a bank of lights in Kimbrell Arena went dark causing a 22 minute delay until action resumed, when HSU finished it off with the 25-20 win. In the final two sets, however, the War Hawks turned out the lights for good on the visitors, winning 25-23 and 25-17, respectively, to claim the match.
McMurry took control of matters on the offensive attack, with the team amassing a .240 attack average for the match (including a sterling .357 in set one and .310 in set three). Conversely, the cowgirls managed just a .080 attack percentage against the War Hawks’ front. The McM trio of Khristyn Howard, Justice McGowan and Verlyncia Nelson collected all but one of the team’s blocks. McGowan had three blocks, while Howard and Nelson had two blocks, apiece.
McGowan shared match-high honors with 12 kills and had a .333 attack average. Jordyn Burnell and Jasmine Jones contributed nine and eight kills, respectively, with Nelson chipping in seven. Burnell led McM’s attack by hitting .438.
The setter tandem of Emarie James and Lauryn Davis collected 34 assists (19 for James and 15 for Davis). Libero Odalis Rodriguez led all backrow players with 16 digs, with Burnell making 12 digs. Rodriguez also had a pair of aces to her credit.
HSU was coming off of a three-set sweep of 2017 ASC West pre-season favorite, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, last night.
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
- Abilene police: Fake carjacking led to SWAT standoff
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Abilene couple robbed at gunpoint while sitting at stoplight
- Indicted: Man accused of robbing Abilene scrap metal business while wearing ‘Scream' mask
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup
- DPS identifies woman killed in fiery crash last week near Winters
- Man dies in Hamlin police custody, Texas Rangers investigating