BIG SPRING, Texas - A West Texas man has been charged with the murder of his mother.
Big Spring police say Jason Luera confessed Friday to killing his mother, 52-year-old Gloria Martinez.
Police were called Oct. 22 to a home in the 700 block of Lorilla in reference to a “suicide.” Big Spring Fire Department and EMS also responded and found Martinez deceased.
Big Springs police said their Criminal Investigations Division found “suspicious circumstances” and ruled the death a homicide.
Luera was “considered a suspect of this horrendous crime” from the beginning, according to Big Spring police.
He was originally arrested Dec. 9 on a parole violation out of Austin for indecency with a child. While in jail, Luera was charged Jan. 6 with burglary of a habitation and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
When police questioned Luera again Friday about some new evidence in the murder, police say he confessed.
Police have not said how Martinez was killed.
Luera is being held in the Howard County Jail on $350,000 bond.
Big Spring is on I-20 about 40 miles west of Colorado City.
- Update: Abilene police find missing ‘mentally challenged' man
- TxDOT: Hwy 351 at I-20 now 'fully' open to traffic
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Snow in Abilene & the Big Country for Christmas? Maybe, maybe not
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson