ABILENE, Texas - It’s the season finale for ACU football this weekend, as their stretch run of top conference opponents concludes with the top program in the Southland Conference – Central Arkansas.
Last week, the Wildcats put on one heck of a comeback in the home finale against Sam Houston State, the 4th ranked team in the country. ACU took a 4 point lead in the 3rd quarter after a 24-0 early deficit under the leadership of Luke Anthony who set school-records for pass attempts (63) and completions (35) in a single game. All that in just his second start as a Wildcat.
But nonetheless the only thing now to do is end the season on a high note to set the program in the right direction in the offseason.
“Can we back-to-back weeks play a great opponent and can we compete at a high level and be resilient, and will we fight for sixty minutes?” said head coach Adam Dorrel on Wednesday. “That’s the thing we need to focus on coming off a great second half effort against Sam Houston.”
ACU will conclude the season on the road against a Bears team that leads the Southland, and yes, they'd love to play spoiler too – with a chance to deny UCA’s bid at an outright southland title.
"Absolutely we would,” smiled coach Dorrel. “Obviously these guys are a great football program and they're battle tested and you know our guys are trying to prepare like that. This Saturday is a big barometer for me as a head football coach to find out where we're at."
The Wildcats are 2-8 and will kick-off its final game of the season in Conway AR, on Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Update: Abilene police find missing ‘mentally challenged' man
- TxDOT: Hwy 351 at I-20 now 'fully' open to traffic
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Snow in Abilene & the Big Country for Christmas? Maybe, maybe not
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson