ABILENE, Texas - It's the week Abilene Christian University has waited for. Anthony Field at Wildcat Stadium is now just three days away from its grand opening, as the Wildcats kick-off conference play on Saturday against Houston Baptist.
On Wednesday morning, finishing touches were being put in place, as ACU Director of Athletics Lee De Leon says they're about 98 percent complete and will be ready for Saturday's opening.
It’s been a long time coming for the campus community as it’s been nearly 60 years since Wildcat football played on campus and this weekend will be special for students and alumni alike.
For the players, it too is a big moment. Becoming the first men to compete at their new home, in front of an expected near-sellout crowd.
And while there will surely be a lot of excitement on Saturday, head coach Adam Dorrel explained its true test will be how the team handles it.
“There's a difference between passion and emotion,” said Dorrel on Wednesday. “Emotion wears off but passion is sustainable and it'll last a long time so I’d want our guys to play with that passion instead of strictly off the emotion of the game.”
“There's a lot going on and it's great -- that's what you want as a college football coach,” Dorrel went on to explain. “You want that type of atmosphere but now as a program we're gonna have to learn to mitigate those distractions a little bit and to just do our job."
ACU and Houston Baptist kick-off from Wildcat Stadium Saturday at 6 p.m.
- Former Abilene mayor Norm Archibald named 2017 Citizen of the Year
- Police report: $5,000 embezzled from Abilene youth football organization
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Abilene man, 21, sentenced to 15 years for shooting mother in head
- KTXS Forecast: Increasing rain chances into the weekend ahead of next cold front.
- 21 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- 2 Abilene men indicted for sharing child porn
- Abilene woman arrested after young child tests positive for cocaine, other drugs
- Abilene woman talks about scary moment inside elevator with panhandler
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene woman empowered to share story by #MeToo movement
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Brownwood plant manager: No injuries from minor explosion
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman
- Woodson ISD names new interim superintendent after abrupt resignation