ARLINGTON, Texas - Eduardo Nunez hit a tying triple, Brent Lillibridge followed with a go-ahead single and the New York Yankees rallied against All-Star closer Joe Nathan in the ninth inning Tuesday night for a 5-4 victory over the Texas Rangers.
New York's comeback got started when Vernon Wells drew a one-out walk against Nathan (1-1) and scored on Nunez's triple to deep center. Nunez stumbled on his way to third and practically flopped into the bag, then scored on Lillibridge's single to left.
Nathan had converted 15 consecutive save chances, and 31 of 32 this season.
Mariano Rivera, who set up Nathan's save in the All-Star game a week earlier, struck out two in a perfect ninth for his 32nd save this season, extending his career record to 640.
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting