ARLINGTON, Texas - Eduardo Nunez hit a tying triple, Brent Lillibridge followed with a go-ahead single and the New York Yankees rallied against All-Star closer Joe Nathan in the ninth inning Tuesday night for a 5-4 victory over the Texas Rangers.
New York's comeback got started when Vernon Wells drew a one-out walk against Nathan (1-1) and scored on Nunez's triple to deep center. Nunez stumbled on his way to third and practically flopped into the bag, then scored on Lillibridge's single to left.
Nathan had converted 15 consecutive save chances, and 31 of 32 this season.
Mariano Rivera, who set up Nathan's save in the All-Star game a week earlier, struck out two in a perfect ninth for his 32nd save this season, extending his career record to 640.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Updated Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program