PORTALES, N.M - 's sixth-inning solo home run combined with 7.0 strong innings from gave the Wildcats a 3-2 win and sweep of their three-game series vs. Eastern New Mexico Saturday at Zia Field.
The victory improved ACU's season and conference records to 27-22 and 11-12, while the Zias fell to 14-38 and 6-17.
Vaughn's home run was her third of the year and broke a 2-2 tie after it sailed over the wall in left with two outs against reliever Katie Ramsay. From there, Crain (13-10) retired three of the four batters she faced in the sixth and then got Kyra Sirag to end the game with a fly ball to center with runners aboard first and second.
The win was Crain's second of the weekend, giving her a second straight conference series in which she earned two wins and a save. She also struck out six batters today in pushing her season total to 119.
ACU and Eastern each exchanged a pair of runs through the first four innings. The Wildcats scored first on Flanary's RBI single, but the Zias quickly countered with a leadoff home run off the bat of Elizabeth Velasquez.
gave the Wildcats' their second lead with a home run one out into the second, however, Eastern would tie the score again in the third after Kuuleiokealoaha VonSchriltz came home on a fielding error by the second baseman. VonSchriltz started the inning with a triple to right field.
The Wildcats return to action Tuesday at 7 p.m. for their series finale vs. Angelo State. The Rambelles won games one and two last week in San Angelo. ACU will conclude its regular season at home next weekend vs. Midwestern State.
The Mustangs began today in third place at 15-7 and winners of 10-straight games.
Angelo State will finish its series today vs. Tarleton State before making the trip to Abilene.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Shuttle bus rear-ended at Boston airport, killing 2 Texans
- Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested