ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons’ football team fell 17-7 to No. 1 ranked Mary Hardin-Baylor in American Southwest Conference action at a packed Shelton Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Both defenses made it tough on the opponent as the teams combined for just 24 points and 461 yards. UMHB had 270 yards of offense and the Cowboys were held to a season-low 191.
The Cowboys were driving on the first possession of the game when Ty Hooper was intercepted by Kris Brown and he ran it back 64 yards to give the Cru a 7-0 lead.
The teams then traded three straight punts and UMHB went 83-yards in four plays. Kyle Jones hit Isaiah Townes for a 37-yard pass on first down and then Markeith Miller went 39 yards up the middle for a touchdown to make it 14-0 with :37 to play in the first half.
The score remained that way until the first drive of the second half when the Cru hit a 28-yard field goal to take a 17-0 lead. On the next series, the Cowboys were forced to punt and Reese Childress hit a 47-yarder that was downed at the Cru 1-yard line.
UMHB had to punt after picking up one first down and the Cowboys took over at the Cru 34 and went 34 yards in five plays for a touchdown. Hooper hit Devonte’ Walker on a 24-yard pass on fourth down to set up a 4-yard Jaquan Hemphill touchdown run.
On the ensuing kickoff, the Cowboys recovered a fumbled return at the UMHB 27 but couldn’t move it and had to settle for a Chance Reneau 39-yard field goal that was wide left. Neither team scored the rest of the way.
Hooper was 19-for-36 passing for 160 yards and three interceptions for the Cowboys. Kyle Jones was 9-for-18 for 120 yards. Miller ran the ball 21 times for 168 yards and a touchdown. Hemphill had 22 carries for 52 yards. Walker had eight catches for 115 yards for HSU.
Chris Miller led the Cowboys with eight tackles, 2.5 for loss and a sack. Donavon Hailey added two sacks for HSU. The Cowboys had five sacks as a team.
Brazos Fuller led a strong effort for the Cru’s defensive front with 11 tackles, three for loss, he also had a sack and forced and recovered a fumble. The Cru had eight sacks in the game.
The Cowboys are now 4-1 on the year and 3-1 in conference play. UMHB improved to 5-0 overall and 4-0 in conference action. HSU will travel to Sul Ross State for a 6 p.m. game next Saturday.
Courtesy HSU Athletics.
- DACA advocates march in front of Abilene City Hall
- Local officers collected tips at Red Robin for Special Olympics Texas
- Busch Jewelers in Abilene going out of business after 73 years
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene youth league coaches suspended for extending middle fingers in team photo
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman