ABILENE, Texas - For the first time in its 106-year history, ACU has signed a multi-year sports marketing contract with an apparel company to outfit all of its athletics teams with game, practice, travel, sideline and coaching gear.
ACU director of athletics announced Monday an agreement on a three-year contract with Adidas beginning June 1, 2013. Terms of the deal were not announced.
"ACU has a tremendous opportunity to capitalize on enhancing the brand and overall image of our athletics programs as we begin a new era in NCAA Division I," Mosley said. "To be able to partner with Adidas – one of the most recognized sports brands in the world – will help bring new consistency and a level of increased visibility to our entire program."
Adidas will be the exclusive manufacturer of all Abilene Christian game uniforms, practice apparel and other gear during the life of the contract.
"Abilene Christian University has an impressive and storied history of both athletic and academic achievement," said Mike Cloud of Adidas Team Sales. "We are very proud and honored to have Abilene Christian as a part of the Adidas family."
ACU's contract with the company represents a familiar working relationship. Adidas was the official outfitter for Wildcat track and field teams for years, and it has been the apparel choice of ACU tennis coach and his teams for the last several years.
Adidas is the exclusive apparel provider for universities such as UCLA, Michigan, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, North Carolina State, SMU, Cincinnati, Harvard and Massachusetts. It also is the official apparel provider for the NBA and USA Gymnastics.
UCLA and ACU rank first and fourth, respectively in total number of NCAA team national championships won, with the Bruins at 108 and the Wildcats at 57.
One of the first athletes to use Adidas shoes was American track and field legend Jesse Owens, who won four gold medals in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated