ACU scored five runs in both the second and third innings Friday afternoon as the Wildcats blew out East Central, 14-3, in the first game of a four-game set at Crutcher Scott Field.
The win pushes the Wildcats to 3-2 on the season, while the Tigers fall to 2-4. ACU and East Central will resume the series Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. The series will conclude with a single game Sunday at 1 p.m.
The Wildcats won the game on the run rule, despite collecting just six hits. However, three ECU pitchers combined to walk 10 Wildcats, hit five batters and throw three wild pitches. And the Tiger defense contributed a pair of errors to the team's demise.
In the second, Seth Spivey and Ty Taylor each had RBI walks and Tyler Eager had an RBI groundout. Rodge Macy had an RBI single and and another run scored on an error.
In the third, Taylor, Eager and Chuck Duarte each singled in runs for the Wildcats.
Spivey scored four runs out of the leadoff spot, while Taylor scored three from the No. 2 hole. Taylor, Eager, Macy and Duarte each had two RBI in the game.
Jordon Herrera went six innings to pick up the win and improve to 2-0 on the season. He scattered five hits over the six innings and allowed just two hits, two runs and one walk while striking out five Tigers.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer