ACU scored five runs in both the second and third innings Friday afternoon as the Wildcats blew out East Central, 14-3, in the first game of a four-game set at Crutcher Scott Field.
The win pushes the Wildcats to 3-2 on the season, while the Tigers fall to 2-4. ACU and East Central will resume the series Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. The series will conclude with a single game Sunday at 1 p.m.
The Wildcats won the game on the run rule, despite collecting just six hits. However, three ECU pitchers combined to walk 10 Wildcats, hit five batters and throw three wild pitches. And the Tiger defense contributed a pair of errors to the team's demise.
In the second, Seth Spivey and Ty Taylor each had RBI walks and Tyler Eager had an RBI groundout. Rodge Macy had an RBI single and and another run scored on an error.
In the third, Taylor, Eager and Chuck Duarte each singled in runs for the Wildcats.
Spivey scored four runs out of the leadoff spot, while Taylor scored three from the No. 2 hole. Taylor, Eager, Macy and Duarte each had two RBI in the game.
Jordon Herrera went six innings to pick up the win and improve to 2-0 on the season. He scattered five hits over the six innings and allowed just two hits, two runs and one walk while striking out five Tigers.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Updated Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized
- Updated Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- Updated New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk