ABILENE, Texas - Tarleton State clubbed 17 hits against five Abilene Christian pitchers en route to a 15-5, seven-inning victory Thursday night at Crutcher Scott Field.
The game was stopped after seven innings due to the 10-run rule that was put into effect.
Texans' leadoff man Nico Moran paced his team's offensive attack with four hits and four RBI, while five more of his teammates recorded at least two hits. Third baseman Alvaro Moreno and designated hitter Fola Lajide both went 3-for-5 with two RBI and No. 8 batter Jared Musgrove scored three runs.
Second baseman Ryan Small cracked two doubles and matched Musgrove's total of three runs scored.
The Texans (7-6-1) scored in all but one inning and put the game to rest after sending 11 men to the plate during a six-run third. They later scored four in the fourth, and one each in the sixth and seventh.
Pete Perez dealt a complete-game victory with nine strikeouts as he improved to 2-0 on the season. He held the Wildcats hitless until there was one-out in the third, and kept them off the scoreboard until the fourth when singled home , who led off with a walk.
Perez was hit with a comebacker to start the sixth, but stayed in the game even though he'd give up two more hits leading to a three-run inning for the Wildcats (7-7). ripped a big two-run double to score Schuetze and Duarte and later scored on 's RBI ground ball that cut Tarleton's lead to nine runs at 14-5.
The Texans regained their 10-run lead on Lajide's second RBI of the night, and the Perez retired the side in order in the bottom of the seventh with two strikeouts.
The Wildcats return to action Friday at 6 p.m. vs. Eastern New Mexico. The Texans, meanwhile, will meet Cameron in the first game of tomorrow's doubleheader at 1 p.m.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program