SEA ISLAND, Ga. - ACU senior all-America golfer Alex Carpenter finished tied for second Sunday at the Jones Cup Invitational, one of the top amateur golf tournaments in the United States.
Carpenter finished tied for second with Alabama Crimson Tide junior all-America Cory Whitsett as they both shot three-day totals of 1-under-par 215. North Florida all-America Sean Dale won the championship at 3-under-par 213.
Whitsett held a four-stroke lead over Dale and Carpenter entering Sunday's final round at the par-72, 7,321-yard Ocean Forest Golf Club, but couldn't hold the advantage. Dale fired a 3-under-par 69 on Sunday that included two birdies on the back nine.
Whitsett, meanwhile, never could put it together on Sunday as he finished 1-over-par on the front nine with three bogeys. It didn't get much better on the back nine as he recorded a double bogey on par-5 10th hole and then a bogey on the par-5 14th hole to finish at 3-over-par 75 on the day.
Carpenter, meanwhile, fired rounds of even-par 72 on Friday and Saturday before posting a 1-under-par 71 on Sunday. He had three birdies and two bogeys on the front nine and then had two birdies and two bogeys on the back nine.
He had pulled to within one stroke with three holes to play on Sunday before he bogeyed the 425-yard, par-4 16th hole to drop back to two shots off the pace.
Carpenter is the 225th-ranked amateur in the world, while Whitsett is No. 17 and Dale is #60.
ACU -- ranked No. 5 in the nation in NCAA Division II pre-season rankings -- will open the spring season Feb. 18-19 at the Incarnate Word Spring Tournament at The Club at Sonterra in San Antonio.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer