ABILENE, Texas - James Allen hit a 15-foot jumper with 2.7 to play to give Mary Hardin-Baylor a 70-68 American Southwest Conference win over Hardin-Simmons on Thursday night at the Mabee Complex in Abilene.
UMHB led 36-32 at halftime as both teams struggled from the field in the first half. Neither team led by more than six points when Cory Meals hit a 3-pointer with 7:18 to play to give the Cru a 56-47 lead. HSU responded with the 13-4 run to take their first lead of the second half.
Hardin-Simmons hit 11 3-pointers in the game including four straight over a three minute stretch to give HSU a 63-60 lead with 3:48 to play. Charles Sams hit his second straight 3-pointer to give the Cowboys the lead.
The Cru answered by scoring six straight points to take a 66-63 lead with 1:58 to play. HSU answered with a Bernard Stiggers layup to cut it to one and Allen answered with a runner in the paint to make it 68-65 with 1:07 to play. Andy Spears scored a layup then the Cowboys Darius Singletary blocked a Allen jumper and was fouled.
Singletary split the free throws to tie the game and set the final possession for the Cru. Allen drove into the paint and to the left elbow and hit a fade-away jumper to give the Cru the win. A last second HSU play was intercepted by Kitrick Bell.
Bell and Meals paced UMHB with 14 each and Allen and Thomas Orr had 13 and 12 points respectively.
Spears led four Cowboys in double figures with 13 points. Sams, John Derr and Singletary all had 12 points each for HSU.
The Cowboys had 18 assists on 23 made baskets and hit 11 3-pointers. In a rare occurrence, HSU actually was 11-for-17 at the free throw line and UMHB was only 8-for-10.
HSU is now 13-7 on the year and 10-4 in ASC play. UMHB improved to 18-3 overall and 14-1 in ASC action. The Cowboys will host Concordia for senior day on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated