MERKEL, Texas - After a special board meeting was held at 7:00 a.m. this morning, Levelland ISD approved the hiring of Clay Barnett as their new head coach of girls basketball.
Barnett confirmed the news with KTXS over the phone. He departs from Merkel after leading the Lady Badgers to a 38-2 record and a trip the state finals for the first time in school history.
"It's a bittersweet deal," Barnett told KTXS. "I've grown fond of Merkel through my time here, but this a new chapter in my life that I've ready to start."
Levelland advanced to the regional quarterfinals in 2013, and defeated defending 3A champ Wylie in the area round.
Merkel's search for their next girls basketball head coach is already underway.
- Girl, 17, missing after police find three bodies at her home in California
- Updated Poll: Clinton, Trump virtually tied headed into debate
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Approaching cold front to bring below average temperatures
- Abilene Zoo celebrates Golden Zoobilation
- Officials: Texas man kills father during disturbance