MERKEL, Texas - After a special board meeting was held at 7:00 a.m. this morning, Levelland ISD approved the hiring of Clay Barnett as their new head coach of girls basketball.
Barnett confirmed the news with KTXS over the phone. He departs from Merkel after leading the Lady Badgers to a 38-2 record and a trip the state finals for the first time in school history.
"It's a bittersweet deal," Barnett told KTXS. "I've grown fond of Merkel through my time here, but this a new chapter in my life that I've ready to start."
Levelland advanced to the regional quarterfinals in 2013, and defeated defending 3A champ Wylie in the area round.
Merkel's search for their next girls basketball head coach is already underway.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth