MERKEL, Texas - After a special board meeting was held at 7:00 a.m. this morning, Levelland ISD approved the hiring of Clay Barnett as their new head coach of girls basketball.
Barnett confirmed the news with KTXS over the phone. He departs from Merkel after leading the Lady Badgers to a 38-2 record and a trip the state finals for the first time in school history.
"It's a bittersweet deal," Barnett told KTXS. "I've grown fond of Merkel through my time here, but this a new chapter in my life that I've ready to start."
Levelland advanced to the regional quarterfinals in 2013, and defeated defending 3A champ Wylie in the area round.
Merkel's search for their next girls basketball head coach is already underway.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon