INDIANAPOLIS - Hardin-Simmons' track and field athletes Kami Bellah and Derek Footer have qualified for the NCAA Championships this weekend in La Crosse, Wis.
Bellah, a senior from Merkel who has just missed the field each of the last two years, qualified for the NCAAs in two events – the triple jump and the long jump. She is the school record holder in the triple jump with a 38-6 ¼ (11.74 meters). She is tied for 12th best mark in the nation this season.
In the long jump, she hit a season-best 18-11 ¾ at the Tarleton Meet. She has the ninth-best mark in the nation.
Footer, a sophomore from Abilene Cooper, is making a repeat trip to the NCAAs in the 110-meter hurdles. He qualified for the finals as a freshman and finished ninth. He has battled a hamstring injury from spring football most of the season and has just started to round back into top shape.
He won the ASC double in the 110 and 400 hurdles. He then qualified for the NCAAs in his last attempt with a season-best 14.60 at the Oliver Jackson Twilight at ACU on May 8. He goes into the meet with the 11th-best time.
Footer becomes the first Cowboy to make two trips to the NCAA meet.
The meet will be held May 23-25 at Roger Harring Stadium on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The women's long jump is slated for 3 p.m. on Thursday and the women's triple jump is at 3:20 Saturday. The men's 110 hurdles prelims are at 5:25 Friday and the finals are at 3:25 Saturday.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated