ABILENE, Texas - When the 2013 season began, Byron Ingram was the Abilene Bombers starting quarterback with Andre Coles waiting in the wings as the backup.
In the second game of the season against the Amarillo Venom, head coach Joe Brannen decided to insert Coles in the second half. Even though the Bombers lost 58-54, he liked the idea of playing both sporadically for the next few weeks. By the last four weeks of the season, both Coles and Ingram we're splitting the game up by each half and had led the Bombers to the first playoff berth since 2009.
Abilene is set to face the Venom for the fourth time this season for the first round of the playoffs on Saturday. Once again, Brannen is sticking with both quarterbacks.
"We're gonna keep the same plan we've had," Brannen told KTXS. "We plan to use both (Ingram and Coles). They've both been instrumental in the success we've had in the last four weeks. If it's not broke, don't fix it," added Brannen.
On paper, Ingram's stats (42 total TD, 1,705 total yards in 10 games) exceed Coles' numbers (16 total TD, 710 total yards in 9 games).
While every other team in the Lone Star Football League use one quarterback, Coach Brannen thinks his two quarterbacks are making each other better with the way they compliment each others skill set.
"We're able to put two different games plans in," says Brannen. "One for the first half, one for the second half. They understand what to do and the receivers have done a nice job picking up what kind of tempo and what kind of scheme we go with."
The Bombers first round playoff game with the Venom kicks off 7:05 p.m. Saturday at the Amarillo Civic Center.
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash