MARSEILLE, France - British sprinter Mark Cavendish won the fifth stage of the Tour de France in a sprint finish on Wednesday and Australian veteran Simon Gerrans kept the yellow jersey.
Sprinters jostled for position on the final straight, but Cavendish held off a challenge from Norwegian Edvald Boasson Hagen.
The 142-mile route featured some small climbs but was otherwise flat, starting from the beach resort of Cagnes-sur-Mer and finishing in the southern sea port of Marseille.
The pack was rolling along at a slow pace until a crash toward the end brought down 15-to-20 riders and another spill unseated about a dozen near the line.
- Updated Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized
- Updated Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- Updated New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk