CANYON, Texas - Senior was perfect through 5.0 innings Friday against No. 8 West Texas A&M, but her dominant effort arrived an inning too late as the Lady Buffs scored four first-inning runs en route to 4-1 quarterfinal victory over Abilene Christian at the Lone Star Conference Championship.
The Lady Buffs (42-10) sent all nine batters to the plate in the first, which started with Alyssa Lemos' leadoff single followed by a two-run home run to center by Brittany Gehle.
Crain then walked Renee Erwin on four pitches and surrendered Jessica Sipe's double high off the left-field wall Allie Cranfill made it a 3-1 game with a sacrifice bunt RBI and Mercedes Garcia added one more with a base hit to center.
Garcia's single would serve as West Texas' fourth hit of the inning and last of the game as Crain went on to retire the last 16 batters she faced in order, including four by strikeout.
ACU responded offensively with eight hits and two walks off WT's Hannah Newcomb (17-5), but couldn't get anything other than a single first-inning run when singled home with two outs in the first.
The Wildcats placed runners on base through each of the first six innings and were presented two prime scoring opportunites in the third and sixth. Unfortunately, both failed to materialize.
In the third, after ACU loaded the bases with one out on two hits and an error, Newcomb got freshman to ground out into a 6-4-3 double play. And then in the sixth, freshman was thrown out a home plate by first baseman Allie Cranfill following Winkfield's ground ball to shortstop.
The Wildcats also left a runner at third base in the fourth, stranded two in the second, and one more in the fifth to finish with nine left on base.
Newcomb pitched a 1-2-3 seventh, striking out the last two batters to end the game.
The Wildcats 2013 season ends with an overall record of 28-26, which is the third-straight winning season for head coach .
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash