ARLINGTON, Texas - For the second straight Friday, Missouri State's offense had its way with the ACU pitching staff as the Bears pounded out 13 hits and 12 runs Friday in a 12-3 win over the Wildcats in the UT-Arlington / Hilton Invitational at Clay Gould Ballpark.
Last Friday in the Bourland-Ardoin Classic at ACU's Crutcher Scott Field, the Bears hammered out 12 hits in a 12-0 win over ACU.
ACU's third straight loss drops the Wildcats to 6-5 on the season, while the Bears improve to 8-3. ACU will be back in action Saturday at 11 a.m. when it takes on Utah in Arlington. Utah (5-6) plays UT-Arlington late Friday night in its first game of the invitational.
As was their problem in back-to-back losses to Oklahoma on Wednesday and Thursday in Norman, Okla., the Wildcats left too many men on base in the loss to Missouri State. ACU left a combined 17 runners on base in the two losses to OU (11 on Thursday), and left another eight on base in Friday's loss.
The Wildcats pounded out 12 hits against four Missouri State pitchers, but that quartet made the pitches they needed to get out jams.
ACU got on the board first when Seth Spivey – who continued his hot start to the season by going 3 for 5 on the day – doubled to lead off the game and came around to score on a groundout by Kyle Giusti.
But the Bears with two runs in the second, two runs in the third and three runs in the fourth to take a 7-1 lead with all the runs being charged to starting pitcher Austin Lambright, who suffered the loss to fall to 0-1 on the season. Lambright lasted just 3 2/3 innings, allowing eight hits, seven runs (six earned), he walked three batters and struck out four. He also delivered three wild pitches, hit a batter and committed one balk during his stint on the mound.
ACU scored twice in the bottom of the fourth to claw to within 7-3, but left a runner on to end the inning. The Wildcats, in fact, left runners on base in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings before Sam Perez and Cole Hagen finished things off on the mound for Missouri State.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Updated Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Updated Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Perfect weather for coming weekend
- Man recants story about road rage incident near Abilene
- Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget