HOSUTON - The ACU Wildcats are back on the road this weekend as they take on Houston Baptist in a three-game Southland Conference baseball series at Husky Field.
The series will get started Friday at 2 p.m., followed by a 1 p.m. Saturday and a 2 p.m. series finale on Sunday.
The Wildcats are 14-23 overall and 4-7 in league play and coming off a 7-4 loss Monday to McMurry. ACU, however, won two of three last weekend at home against Stephen F. Austin to win its second Southland Conference series of the season.
Houston Baptist, meanwhile, is 18-19 overall and 7-11 in conference play. The Huskies have won two straight (11-10 over Oral Roberts last Sunday and 5-2 over Texas-San Antonio on Tuesday) after a four-game losing streak. HBU won two of its first three conference series (vs. New Orleans and Southeastern Louisiana), but has lost three in a row against McNeese State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Oral Roberts.
ACU is led offensively by the duo of senior catcher / infielder Seth Spivey and freshman shortstop Brandon Grudzielanek.
Grudzielanek is second in the league in hitting at .373 with a team-leading 29 RBI, while Spivey is third in the league in hitting at .371 with 25 RBI. Grudzielanek is riding a six-game hitting streak going into Friday's game and is a red-hot 8 for 13 (.615 batting average) with three RBI in the Wildcats' last three games.
Spivey, meanwhile, was 4 for 4 with two RBI on Monday against McMurry as he raised his average 18 points in the game. Grudzielanek and Spivey are the two key cogs of a Wildcat team that is fifth in the league in hitting at .284.
Houston Baptist is second in the league in hitting at .298 and boasts the league's top hitter in outfielder Jordan McCoy. The senior from Exline, Iowa, is hitting a league-best .389 with three home runs and 23 RBI. Junior infielder Curtis Jones is sixth in the league in hitting at .360 with 18 RBI.
ACU's starting pitcher for Friday is undecided, but head coach Britt Bonneau will go with senior lefthander Brady Rodriguez (1-2, 5.84 ERA) and the league's reigning Pitcher of the Week, sophomore righthander Garrett deMeyere (4-4, 4.08 ERA) on Sunday.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated