DALLAS - Dallas Baptist turned around an early nine-point deficit and took a 15-point halftime lead and then held on to knock off ACU, 79-72, in the men's basketball season-opener for both teams at The Burg Center.
ACU jumped out to a quick 13-4 lead just 4:25 into the game, but after Eric Lawton's 3-pointer gave the Wildcats a nine-point lead, the Patriots answered with a 19-5 run over the next six minutes to take a 23-19 lead with 8:18 to play.
The Wildcats closed that lead to 23-22 on a 3-pointer by freshman guard Parker Wentz at the seven-minute mark of the first half, but the Patriots closed the first half on a 21-7 run to take a 44-29 lead into the halftime break.
ACU cut into the DBU lead early in the second half, and then finally got it down to 59-56 with 7:48 to play on a layup by Eric Lawton. DBU pushed the lead back to 10 points before ACU rallied to trim the deficit to 72-70 with 1:34 to play on a layup by Desmond Woodberry.
But DBU's Nick Fox answered with a three-point play to make it a 75-70 game with 1:14 to play before Wesley Gipson hit a pair of free throws with 39 seconds left to push the lead to 77-70 and ice the game.
The Wildcats (0-1) will return to the court Friday and Saturday when they host the Whitten Inn Classic at Moody Coliseum.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated