PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas - Two of the best offensive units in college football lit up the scoreboard Saturday afternoon at Blackshear Field as Abilene Christian University outlasted Prairie View A&M, 65-45, as the Wildcats finished off the 2013 season by recording their eighth straight winning season.
The win – led by senior quarterback John David Baker's 485 passing yards and senior running back Charcandrick West's four rushing touchdowns and 155 yards on the ground – helped ACU finish its first season as an NCAA Division I FCS program at 6-5. The Wildcats haven't endured a losing season since a 4-6 campaign in 2005.
The Wildcats never trailed as Baker got them on the board with a 1-yard touchdown run just 2:46 into the game. After Prairie View A&M got the game tied on a Greg Thurmond touchdown reception, West scored three straight touchdowns for the Wildcats on runs of 60, 2 and 3 yards to give ACU a 28-17 lead in the second quarter.
After the Panthers were able to cut the lead to 28-24 late in the first half, the Wildcats drove 78 yards on nine plays to a 13-yard touchdown pass from Baker to DeMarcus Thompson to make it a 35-24 game at the half. The Wildcats scored on their second possession of the second half on a touchdown pass from Baker to Noah Cheshier to push the lead to 42-24.
After Nik Grau's 10th field goal of the season gave the Widlcats a 45-24 lead with 2:14 left in the third quarter, the Panthers weren't able to get closer than 14 points the rest of the way.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase