ABILENE, Texas - ACU scored seven runs in the bottom of the sixth inning Saturday afternoon as the Wildcats knocked off the TexAnns, 7-1, to salvage a split of their Lone Star Conference softball doubleheader at Wells Field.
That win gave ACU one win in the series, which the TexAnns took two games to one after winning Friday night and then winning Saturday's first game, 5-3.
ACU is now 19-16 overall and 3-6 in the LSC, while the TexAnns are 17-13 and 5-4. ACU will return to action Thursday and Friday in Kingsville for a three-game LSC series at Texas A&M-Kingsville.
In the nightcap, the Wildcats trailed 1-0 going to the sixth before loading the bases with one out. Taylor Fitzgerald then reached and the tying run scored when relief pitcher Brenna Hennan's throw to the plate bounced in and Keanna Winkfield scored.
ACU took the lead moments later when Paige Stevens reached base when Tarleton State third baseman Shelby Tinklepaugh threw wide to the plate and the ball bounced toward first base. Lyndi Smith and Sara Vaughn both scored to give ACU a 3-1 lead. Ashley Nolan followed with a bloop single to left field to drive in Fitzgerald and make it a 4-1 game.
Cara Hoover then reached on a fielder's choice, and then another Tarleton State error -- this time a drop by centerfield Melody Mayse on a ball hit by Anna Jones -- allowed Ashley Nolan to score to make it 5-1. The final two runs of the inning scored on a McNulty single up the middle, plating Jones and Hoover with the sixth and seventh runs of the inning.
All of that late offense made a winner of Peyton Mosley, who went all seven innings to pick up the win and push her record to 4-6 on the season. She allowed just three hits and struck out four TexAnns to pick up the victory.
In the first game, Hennan went seven innings and struck out 10 batters while scattering four hits and giving up three runs in a complete-game effort. Hennan (8-4) gave up two runs in the first, but settled down after that to allow the Wildcats just one more run (single run in the fifth).
In the bottom of the first, McNulty singled with one out before Vaughn tripled to right field to drive in McNulty and it 1-0. Smith then drove a ball deep enough to right field to drive in Vaughn to make it 2-0.
But Tarleton answered with single runs in the second and fourth before taking a 4-2 lead in the fifth when Bailee Mauldin drove in two runs with a two-out single to center to make it 4-2.
The TexAnns tacked on an insurance run in the seventh to make it a 5-3 game.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Updated Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer