ABILENE, Texas - Abilene Christian head coach Wednesday announced the addition of local soccer standout Katie Lane to his team's 2014 roster. A midfielder, Lane has played at the varsity level for Abilene Cooper High School the past four seasons.
Lane served as the Cougars' team captain as a junior and senior and was voted offensive MVP at the conclusion of each of those seasons. Additionally, she was named second team all-district in 2013 and received first team all-district honors in 2014.
"We're very excited about having Katie on our team as we feel that she's a talented athlete with the ability to play multiple positions," said Wilson. "She has been flying below the radar here in Abilene and should open some eyes with her potential ... and adding a lefty to the mix is always a benefit."
Lane is a member of Cooper's National Honor Society and ranked among the top one percent of her graduating class. She plans to major in early education at ACU with plans to become a kindergarten teacher.
Lane is the ninth member of Wilson's recruiting class. Megan Bear, Peyton Bucklew, Deonna Calhoun, Emily Duke, Chloe Fifer, Madison Goldston, Chantal Kinsey and Baylee Mitchell were all officially introduced in February.
ACU's offseason also saw the addition of assistant coach (from California's Dana Point High School) and promotion of from goalkeeper coach to full-time assistant coach.
The 2013 Wildcats went 13-5-1 overall and 7-5 against the Southland Conference in their first year as a NCAA DI program. Next year's team is expected to feature six seniors: , , , , and , plus conference honorable mention defender .
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated