ABILENE, Texas - Kayla Keller's redirection of a Megan Giles shot from inside the six-yard box held up as the game-winner in Oral Roberts' 1-0 victory over Abilene Christian Sunday afternoon at the Wildcat Soccer Pitch. Keller's sixth goal of the season came in the 57th minute.
The loss was ACU's first at home through five matches and dropped the Wildcats to 10-2-1 overall and 4-2 within the Southland Conference. ORU, which lost Friday at Incarnate Word, improved to 9-3 and 4-1.
ACU's offense fired 16 shots, but only put five on frame as the Golden Eagle defenders consistently applied pressure onto primary attackers and . Carpenter was especially frustrated in the second half after one of her headers was picked off by ORU goalkeeper Maddie Rhodes. She later sailed another shot high after beating Rhodes to a 50/50 ball inside the penalty area.
Rhodes also caught a pair of shots off the head of and denied a hard-angle shot by Throneberry taken inside the 83rd minute to become the first goalkeeper this season to shut out the Wildcats. ACU hadn't been blanked during the regular season since Oct. 12 of last year by Angelo State.
Oral Roberts attempted 20 shots but ACU freshman goalkeeper kept her team in the match with a season-high nine saves, three of which came as the Golden Eagles were looking to pad their lead. Dombrowski's finest stop was a diving effort in the 74th minute just after ORU attempted a corner kick; she then caught Maria Stordahl's header with just under seven minutes remaining.
The Golden Eagles took five corner kicks in the match, while ACU was given three.
The Wildcats return to action next Friday and Sunday with road matches at Northwestern State and Stephen F. Austin. Game times are 7 and 1 p.m.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated