KINGSVILLE, Texas - Texas A&M-Kingsville scored four runs in its final two at-bats Friday afternoon as the Lady Javelinas rallied to beat ACU, 8-7, in Lone Star Conference softball action at Hubert Field.
The Wildcats – who swept the Lady Javelinas yesterday – are now 21-17 overall and 5-7 in the LSC. The Lady Javelinas, meanwhile, are now 11-24 overall and 1-11 in the LSC. ACU will be back in action next weekend in Canyon against the nation's top-ranked team in West Texas A&M.
ACU scored five runs in the second on five hits to take a 6-0 lead against starting pitcher Katrisha Arocha. Taylor Fitzgerald hit a three-run home run to left-centerfield to key the inning. Lyndi Smith provided the other runs with a two-run single to left field. The Wildcats, however, left the bases loaded after Cara Hoover struck out and Demi McNulty flew out to right field.
Kingsville crept back into the game, however, with two runs in the bottom of the second and single runs in the third and fourth innings to make ti a 6-4 game. ACU answered, however, on an RBI sacrifice fly by Keanna Winkfield in the top of the sixth to make it a 7-4 game.
Caitlyn Crain – who picked up a win and a save in Thursday's doubleheader – cruised through the first five innings for the Wildcats, scattering five hits and four runs over those innings.
But she ran into trouble in the bottom of the sixth and the Lady Javelinas were able to get the game tied. With two outs and one on, Adela Gomez hit a three-run home run to left field to knot the score at 7-7. Crain was replaced in the circle by Shelby Hall, who got out of the inning without further damage.
However, in the bottom of the seventh, Jaeleen Castro drove in Bailey Offill with a two-out infield single to give the Lady Javelinas their first conference win.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon