WICHITA FALLS, Texas - The 23rd-ranked ACU Wildcat softball team had a productive Friday at the Courtyard by Marriott Invitational, winning a pair of games, including a contest against 13th-ranked Emporia State.
The two wins push ACU to 12-6 on the season as the Wildcats get ready to play two more games Saturday, a 5 p.m. contest against Emporia State and a 7 p.m. game against St. Mary's.
After a relatively easy 10-2 win earlier Friday over Oklahoma Panhandle State, the Wildcats and Hornets hooked up in a good one on a cool night at Mustang Park.
ACU got on the board with two runs in the first on a bases-loaded walk by Courtney Flanary and a sacrifice fly by Heather Peacock that plated Sara Vaughn.
That was enough offense for pitcher Caitlyn Crain, who was outstanding in the circle. The ACU senior went all seven innings, allowing just three hits and one run while striking out four Lady Hornets and not allowing a walk. She faced just four batters over the minimum and threw only 76 pitches.
She retired each of the first eight Lady Hornets she faced, and after giving up a two-out RBI double in the fifth, she retired seven of the last eight batters she faced to finish the game and pick up the win to improve to 6-2.
After the Lady Hornets had cut the ACU lead to 2-1 with a run in the fifth, ACU answered with a run of its own in the top of the sixth when Vaughn singled to left to drive in Paige Stevens to make it 3-1.
Earlier in the day, the Wildcats blew out Panhandle State with six runs in the second, two in the third and two more in the fourth to end the game via the eight-run rule.
Keanna Winkfield had four RBI, driving in two in the second with a two-run double down the right field line and two more in the third with a triple that scored Stevens and Demi McNulty.
Shelby Hall went the distance in the circle for the Wildcats, pitching five innings and giving up just three hits and two runs while striking out three batters to pick up the win and improve to 4-1 on the season.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday