ARLINGTON, Texas - Abilene Christian softball collected six hits and drew five walks, but came away with only one run Wednesday night in a 5-1 loss to UT-Arlington at Allan Saxe Field.
Tonight's win gave UTA a series victory over the Wildcats. ACU won the first game, 2-1, in Lubbock, while the Mavericks captured game two in Abilene, 8-0.
UTA starter Callie Collins (12-10) had a quiet first inning but walked the first three batters to begin the second inning. She responded accordingly, however, with back-to-back looking strikeouts of Cara Hoover and Demi McNulty followed by a ground ball to shortstop off the bat of Tori Valdivia.
The Wildcats (18-24) would put only two more runners on base between the third and fifth innings - two-out singles by Madison Buckley and Lyndi Smith - before loading the bases once again in the sixth.
With two outs and a runner on first base, Collins again experienced some control issues as she walked Taylor Brown and pinch hitter Kayla Simmons, but just like last time she quickly cleaned up the mess she created by getting Kaylee Crozier to swing and miss on a 2-2 pitch.
ACU went on to break Collins' bid for a shutout with a one-out RBI single by Paige Stevens that scored Valdivia. The Wildcats would fail to advance Stevens past first base as Collins got Smith to pop up to short for out No. 2 and Courtney Flanary to fly out to center for the game's final out.
The Mavericks (20-26) took a 3-0 lead in the first inning as Rebecca Stokes and Nina Villanueva each ripped a run-scoring double against starter Emily Seidel (2-6). They then pushed their lead to 4-0 in the fifth on on Kacey Everett's RBI single, and to 5-0 in the sixth following a solo home run by Meagan Michele.
The last two runs were charged to reliever Hannah Null.
The Wildcats return to action Saturday for the start of a three-game Southland Conference series against Houston Baptist. Game times are 2 p.m. Saturday (DH) and 1 p.m. Sunday.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated