HUNTSVILLE, Arkansas - Sam Houston State first baseman Sarah Allison had two hits and drove in three runs Saturday afternoon to lead the Bearkats to a series-clinching 7-4 win over ACU in Southland Conference softball action.
The loss drops the Wildcats to 18-24 overall and 7-7 in Southland play, while the Bearkats improve to 24-20 and 13-7. ACU will be back in action Wednesday at 6 p.m. when it goes to Arlinton to take on the Mavericks of UT-Arlington for the third time this season.
Both teams scored a pair of runs in the first inning and the game stayed tied until the bottom of the fifth when the Kats scored five times to break the game open. The go-ahead run came on a squeeze bunt by designated hitter Hillary Adams that scored right fielder Cecilia Castillo from third. Allison and pinch hitter Tori Koerselman also brought in runs with hits and another scored on an error.
ACU scored a pair of runs in the top of the seventh to make it 7-4 as Paige Stevens drove in a run with a fielder's choice and Cara Hoover singled in a run, cutting the Wildcats' deficit to just three runs. However, with two on and two out, Courtney Flanary grounded out to second base to end the game.
ACU senior pitcher Peyton Mosley went 4 1/3 innings and was tagged with the loss to fall to 5-10 on the season. Mosley allowed five runs (two earned) and only walked one batter. ACU committed three errors that led to five unearned runs on the day for Sam Houston State.
Information for this story provided by Abilene Christian Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer