HUNTSVILLE, Arkansas - Sam Houston State first baseman Sarah Allison had two hits and drove in three runs Saturday afternoon to lead the Bearkats to a series-clinching 7-4 win over ACU in Southland Conference softball action.
The loss drops the Wildcats to 18-24 overall and 7-7 in Southland play, while the Bearkats improve to 24-20 and 13-7. ACU will be back in action Wednesday at 6 p.m. when it goes to Arlinton to take on the Mavericks of UT-Arlington for the third time this season.
Both teams scored a pair of runs in the first inning and the game stayed tied until the bottom of the fifth when the Kats scored five times to break the game open. The go-ahead run came on a squeeze bunt by designated hitter Hillary Adams that scored right fielder Cecilia Castillo from third. Allison and pinch hitter Tori Koerselman also brought in runs with hits and another scored on an error.
ACU scored a pair of runs in the top of the seventh to make it 7-4 as Paige Stevens drove in a run with a fielder's choice and Cara Hoover singled in a run, cutting the Wildcats' deficit to just three runs. However, with two on and two out, Courtney Flanary grounded out to second base to end the game.
ACU senior pitcher Peyton Mosley went 4 1/3 innings and was tagged with the loss to fall to 5-10 on the season. Mosley allowed five runs (two earned) and only walked one batter. ACU committed three errors that led to five unearned runs on the day for Sam Houston State.
Information for this story provided by Abilene Christian Athletics.
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Fire danger Tuesday with very warm and windy conditions
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck