ABILENE, Texas - The ACU football program will host the 12th annual Don Smith Memorial Golf Tournament on Saturday, May 10, at the Diamondback Golf Club.
The tournament is set to begin at 9 a.m. with a scramble format. The tournament will once again benefit the Don and Barbara Smith Memorial Football Recruiting Fund.
Four-man teams are $700 apiece, while individual sponsorships for the tournament are $200. A corporate sponsorship is $1,000 and includes a foursome and hole signage.
For more information, call ACU associate director of athletics Cory Driskill at 325-674-2440 or by email at email@example.com.
Smith – a member of the ACU Sports Hall of Fame – played on ACU's undefeated 1950 football team and later coached Abilene Cooper High School to the 1964 state championship in track and field. He joined the ACU coaching staff in 1968 and coached 14 seasons (through 1981).
He was an assistant coach on the Wildcats' 1973 and 1977 NAIA Division I national championship football teams and was the head track coach from 1974-77.
While playing at ACU, Smith was captain and all-conference at defensive back in football, and he ran on winning relay teams at the Texas, Kansas and Drake relays. He helped the Wildcat claim the NAIA track and field championship in 1952, and he played on the 1950 team, which is still the only Wildcat team to finish the season with an unblemished record (11-0).
Smith was named the outstanding athlete at ACU in 1952-53, and he helped the Wildcats win three conference titles in football and four in track and field while he was a student-athlete.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Shuttle bus rear-ended at Boston airport, killing 2 Texans
- Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested