FRISCO, Texas - Abilene Christian freshman Nico Agritelley has been named the Southland Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week, the league office announced Tuesday.
Agritelley was ACU's lone undefeated player last week when the Wildcats went 3-1, which included an impressive 4-3 win over Nicholls on Sunday. A native of Dallas, Texas (Laurel Springs Academy), Agritelley went 4-0 in singles to improve to 13-7 on the year and 3-0 in doubles play with three different partners to improve to 13-5. Agritelley also won all his matches in straight sets with the exception of his come-from-behind win over Rice's Gustavo Gonzalez. In ACU's 4-3 win against Nicholls, Agritelley was the first off the court with a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Sam Meessen and won the Wildcats' first doubles match against Kiernan Cronin and Lukas Clemens.
Honorable mention this week goes to Nicholls freshman Partha Adavelly, UIW senior Jair Assuncao and Oral Roberts senior Parker Allen.
Each school's sports information director nominates and votes for the players of the week, though is not permitted to vote for his own player. To receive honorable mention, a player must receive votes from 25 percent of the Southland sports information directors.
Information for this story provided by Southland staff.
- Updated Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Severe weather possible tonight, sunshine back tomorrow
- Updated Texas high school transgender wrestler wins regional title
- Updated Man arrested for slaying of Caldwell County woman
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide