FRISCO, Texas - Abilene Christian freshman Nico Agritelley has been named the Southland Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week, the league office announced Tuesday.
Agritelley was ACU's lone undefeated player last week when the Wildcats went 3-1, which included an impressive 4-3 win over Nicholls on Sunday. A native of Dallas, Texas (Laurel Springs Academy), Agritelley went 4-0 in singles to improve to 13-7 on the year and 3-0 in doubles play with three different partners to improve to 13-5. Agritelley also won all his matches in straight sets with the exception of his come-from-behind win over Rice's Gustavo Gonzalez. In ACU's 4-3 win against Nicholls, Agritelley was the first off the court with a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Sam Meessen and won the Wildcats' first doubles match against Kiernan Cronin and Lukas Clemens.
Honorable mention this week goes to Nicholls freshman Partha Adavelly, UIW senior Jair Assuncao and Oral Roberts senior Parker Allen.
Each school's sports information director nominates and votes for the players of the week, though is not permitted to vote for his own player. To receive honorable mention, a player must receive votes from 25 percent of the Southland sports information directors.
Information for this story provided by Southland staff.
- Updated Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Updated Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Updated Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Updated Abilene allergist gives tips for dealing with fall allergies
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend