FRISCO, Texas - New Orleans sprinter Darius Roy and Stephen F. Austin thrower Baptiste Kerjean were named the Southland Conference Men's Track and Field Athletes of the Week, the league announced Wednesday.
Men's Track Athlete of the Week – Darius Roy, New Orleans
Roy, a freshman from New Orleans, La. (West Jefferson H.S.), picked up his first outdoor track and field award after winning the 100 meters at the McNeese SpringTime Classic, hosted by McNeese State. His time of 10.41 seconds is a personal best and ranks fourth in the Southland this season. Roy also placed third in the 200 meters (21.25), which is the eighth-fastest time in the conference this year.
Honorable Mention: Rodney Jones, Sam Houston State; Hampton Hawkins, Stephen F. Austin; Chris DeWitt, UIW; Bennett Harris, Oral Roberts.
Men's Field Athlete of the Week – Baptiste Kerjean, Abilene Christian
Kerjean, the senior from St. Brieuc, France (Lycee Rabelais H.S.), won the hammer throw with a toss of 215 feet, 1-inch at the inaugural Wes Kittley Invitational, hosted by Abilene Christian. He has recorded a distance of more than 200 feet at each of his last seven meets. Kerjean leads the conference with a mark of 217-7 that he recorded at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays earlier this month.
Honorable Mention: Tim Jones, Oral Roberts; Johnathan Reece, Lamar; J.P. Vidrine, McNeese State; Colton Ross, Stephen F. Austin.
Each school's sports information director nominates and votes for the athletes of the week, though is not permitted to vote for his or her own student-athlete. To receive honorable mention, an athlete must receive votes from 25 percent of the Southland sports information directors.
Information for this story provided by Southland Conference staff.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated