ABILENE, Texas - The Lone Star Conference Tuesday selected freshmen Elea Diarra and Johnathan Farquharson and senior Amanda Ouedraogo as its athletes of the week. Diarra and Farquharson were recognized for their results on the track, while Ouedraogo – a four-time all-America – was honored for her win in the triple jump at the Texas Tech/Masked Rider Open.
A three-time conference athlete of the week in 2012, Ouedraogo recorded a NCAA automatic qualifying distance of 41 feet-0.25 inches (12.50 meters) on Saturday to win the triple jump competition over 22 opponents. Her mark is the second best in NCAA D-II this season. Angelo State's Kearah Danville is first with a distance of 41-11.25 (12.78m).
Farquharson recorded the fasted preliminary time of 6.33 seconds in the 55-meter dash and then lowered it to 6.30 to win a very exciting race over freshman David Winters of Barton County by .003 seconds. His time ranks sixth among all D-II athletes and places him just outside the school's all-time top-10 performers. Larry Jones and Ralph Roberts are tied for 10th place among ACU's leaders in the 55m at 6.29.
Diarra – a 2012 London Olympian from Lyon, France – chased down several competitors over the final 100 meters to win the 400m in 55.73 seconds. She later ran anchor for the 4x400-meter relay, which finished fourth overall with a time of 3:49.09. Both of Diarra's times were NCAA provisional marks and rank among the top-10 performances in D-II this season. Her relay teammates included Shennae Steele, Thomas and Ayesha Rumble.
The Wildcats split their rosters next week as several athletes head to the Air Force Academy while the rest venture to Albuquerque for the New Mexico Invitational.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer