ABILENE, Texas - ACU junior Corbin Renner fired a final-round 65 Tuesday to win the individual medalist title at the Charles Coody West Texas Intercollegiate golf tournament at the Diamondback Golf Club.
Odessa College rallied from third place in the team standings after Monday's first round to post a second-round score of 284 and 574 overall to win the team title over first-day leader Texas Wesleyan, which followed Monday's round of 286 with a final-round 289 to finish one stroke back at 575.
Midland College and ACU finished tied for third, 12 strokes behind Odessa College. ACU shot rounds of 291-295 for a 586 total, while the Chaparrals of Midland College fired rounds of 289-297 for a 586 total.
Renner got his round going early when he birdied the first, third, fourth and ninth holes on his way to a front-nine 32. He followed that up with birdies at 12 and 18 to finish a bogey-free round at 65. His total of 135 was good enough to beat Calvin Clyde of Texas Wesleyan (66-71--137) by two strokes.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen