PASADENA, California - The Bowl Championship Series will be replaced by the College Football Playoff.
A person familiar with the decision tells The Associated Press that the new four-team playoff starting after the 2014 regular season will be called the College Football Playoff, and the conference commissioners will make it official with an announcement later Tuesday.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the name was not to be released before then.
The major college football conference commissioners are holding three days of meetings in the Rose Bowl's backyard. They also will name several sites in the rotation for semifinal games under the new system.
ESPN.com first reported the new name.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday