INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana - Hardin-Simmons junior Dustin Baker was selected for the 2014 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championship in the discus throw.
The meet will be held in Delaware, Ohio this weekend at Ohio Wesleyan University. The discus is slated to be contested at noon EST on Saturday.
Baker goes into the event with the 15th best throw in the nation. He threw an HSU record 50.08 meters (164-4) to place second at the ASC meet. Buck Thompson of
Texas-Tyler won the discus that day with an NCAA best 186-10 toss and he goes into the meet as the No. 1 seed.
For the year Baker set school records in the discus, shot put and hammer throw in outdoors and the shot put in the indoors. He holds five school records in throwing events.
Baker is the third HSU male track athlete to qualify for the national meet, joining Brendon Kelso in the javelin and Derek Footer twice in the 110 hurdles. He is looking to become HSU's first Division III all-American in men's track and field.
Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletics.
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Fraternity suspends Texas A&M chapter after student's death
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy