FRISCO, Texas - Hardin-Simmons scored four runs in the top of the eighth inning to rally past Hendrix, 5-4, on Sunday afternoon at Dr. Pepper Ballpark in Frisco.
In the eighth inning, Trey Thompson led off with a single and Zach de Luna walked. Zack Patino sacrificed them over. Caleb Jacques was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Brandon Walker then pinch hit and delivered a two-run single to center. Jason Vause singled to reload the bases and Jon Finney hit an RBI single to give HSU a 4-3 lead and Marcus Uechi followed with a sacrifice fly to make it 5-1.
Collin Radack had an RBI single in the ninth for Hendrix, but Blake Northrop recorded the final out by striking out Thomas Weber looking with the tying run at second base.
HSU scored a run in the second inning on a Vause RBI single. Hendrix scored two runs off a pair of Cowboy errors and a RBI groundout in the fourth and made it 3-1 in the sixth when the Warriors scored on a wild pitch.
Matt Rhodes started and went five and two-third innings for the Cowboys and allowed just one earned run and struck out five. Jeremy Hallmark worked one and one-third scoreless innings to earn the win in relief. Northrop earned the save with two innings of work, allowing one run.
HSU's starters allowed only two earned runs in 18 innings of work on the weekend.
Nick Land took the loss in relief for Hendrix allowing four runs in four innings of work.
Vause had two of the seven hits for the Cowboys and Jacob Perschke had two hits for Hendrix.
HSU is 2-1 on the year and will open American Southwest Conference play next weekend at Mississippi College. Hendrix fell to 0-3 on the year.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated