STEPHENVILLE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' track teams had a solid showing at the Tarleton State Invitational on Thursday in Stephenville.
The Cowgirls finished seventh out of 15 teams with 35 points paced by a pair of first-place finishes. Angelo State won the team title with 148.5 points.
Kami Bellah had a big day for the Cowgirls. She won the long jump with a school record 18-11 ¾. She broke the long-standing mark of former NCAA champion Ashley Huston. She was third in the high jump at 4-11 ¾ and was fifth in the triple jump with a 37-5 ¾.
Freshman Evlyn Collins won the hammer throw for the second straight meet. She threw 145-10 to set the school record. She was eighth in the discus with a 113-0. Shannon Shipp was eighth in the hammer throw.
The Cowboys scored 11 points and placed 13th in the event. Angelo State won the meet with 166.5 points.
Tyson Denton placed third in the 3000 steeplechase with a time of 11:27.07 and Cody Parker placed fourth in the hammer throw with a toss of 134-3. They were the only Cowboys to score points on the day with top eight finishes.
HSU was one of two non-scholarship teams in the field.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend