ABILENE, Texas - This week doesn't only kick start the football season. Abilene Christian volleyball gets set to enter their second season in Division 1 as well.
The Wildcats will look to hit the ground running in Waco as they'll open their 2014 season against the Baylor Bears.
This year brings a new feel as former assistant coach Jason Bibler returns to the program taking over as head coach. He recruited a majority of the upperclassman a fews years back, so they're all very familiar with each other.
It also helps ACU knows more of what to expect on the higher level. They did pick up a marquee win last season against Texas Tech, and they know carrying that momentum into 2014 will be key.
"We have that experience under our belt, so we're more prepared and know what to expect going into [the year]," said Junior outside hitter Jennifer Loerch. "We know that we can compete at that level now."
"Anytime you do things at least once, you have a higher level [of understanding]," added Bibler. "I think there was some growing pains last year and a lot of unknowns in terms of who they were going to be play against and what type of level Division 1 is, but I think it helps going through it now cause they have those expectations in their mind."
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Man lunges over counter, takes cash from Abilene convenience store