RICHARDSON, Texas — - Hardin-Simmons' women's soccer team won its 11th straight American Southwest Conference title with a 1-0 win over longtime rival Texas-Dallas on Sunday afternoon at the UTD Soccer Complex in Richardson.
Caitlin Cramer gave the Cowgirls the win with a header off a Taylor Thigpen corner kick at the 75:06 mark and the Cowgirl defense made it hold up.
"That was a special play by Caitlin," said HSU Head Coach Marcus Wood. "Caitlin and Taylor communicated right before the corner kick and they executed their plan. We have had many special wins from the
Cramer twins in the air over the last four years and to do it for the ASC title is something else."
"I am so proud of our seniors for what they have accomplished. It has not been an easy road and Texas-Dallas had a great game plan and executed it well."
Cramer was named the tournament's MVP. Kristen Pack, Katie Haltiwanger and Julianne Kucera were also named to the all-tournament team for the Cowgirls.
HSU outshot UTD 14-9 in the game and 7-2 on target. Lexi Stinson had a pair of saves for the Cowgirls and Brittany Best had six saves for UTD.
The Cowgirls are now 8-1 in ASC Championship games against Texas-Dallas. HSU is 15-1-1 on the year and will play in the NCAA Tournament. The field will be announced on Monday at 12:30. UTD finished its season with a record of 10-9-1.
HSU was playing on the road for the first time in its run of 11 conference titles. HSU's men's team was hosting the ASC Tournament in Abilene, thus putting the Cowgirls on the road by league rules. The men's teams host in odd years and the women in even years if both teams from the same school are the No. 1 seed.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated