RICHARDSON, Texas — - Hardin-Simmons' women's soccer team won its 11th straight American Southwest Conference title with a 1-0 win over longtime rival Texas-Dallas on Sunday afternoon at the UTD Soccer Complex in Richardson.
Caitlin Cramer gave the Cowgirls the win with a header off a Taylor Thigpen corner kick at the 75:06 mark and the Cowgirl defense made it hold up.
"That was a special play by Caitlin," said HSU Head Coach Marcus Wood. "Caitlin and Taylor communicated right before the corner kick and they executed their plan. We have had many special wins from the
Cramer twins in the air over the last four years and to do it for the ASC title is something else."
"I am so proud of our seniors for what they have accomplished. It has not been an easy road and Texas-Dallas had a great game plan and executed it well."
Cramer was named the tournament's MVP. Kristen Pack, Katie Haltiwanger and Julianne Kucera were also named to the all-tournament team for the Cowgirls.
HSU outshot UTD 14-9 in the game and 7-2 on target. Lexi Stinson had a pair of saves for the Cowgirls and Brittany Best had six saves for UTD.
The Cowgirls are now 8-1 in ASC Championship games against Texas-Dallas. HSU is 15-1-1 on the year and will play in the NCAA Tournament. The field will be announced on Monday at 12:30. UTD finished its season with a record of 10-9-1.
HSU was playing on the road for the first time in its run of 11 conference titles. HSU's men's team was hosting the ASC Tournament in Abilene, thus putting the Cowgirls on the road by league rules. The men's teams host in odd years and the women in even years if both teams from the same school are the No. 1 seed.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash