ABILENE, Texas - Freshman Parker Wentz and junior Cornelius Cammock each scored 11 points, and senior Steven Werner recorded his second double-double in as many nights, leading the Abilene Christian men's basketball team to an 83-66 victory over Sul Ross State Saturday night at Moody Coliseum.
The Wildcats led this game for all but two minutes in improving to 2-1 on the season, while the Lobos fell to 0-2.
Werner scored a game-high 21 points on 9 of 15 shooting and pulled down 13 rebounds, including seven off the offensive glass. The 6-foot-8 transfer also came away with three of the team's seven blocks.
Offensively, ACU shot over 50 percent for the second straight game as freshmen T.J. Brown and Caleb Carr went a combined 7 for 9 and senior Elliott Lloyd nailed a team-high three 3-point attempts. Wentz was 4 of 8 from the floor and Cammock went 4 of 7 with nine rebounds.
Mychal Pinson was the lone Lobo to hit double figures with 17, but his side collectively struggled from the field in making just over 39 percent of its shots. Sul Ross also missed 10 of 17 3-pointers and six of its 11 free throws.
ACU finished the first half on a 12-0 run to take a comfortable 45-24 lead into the break and reached its largest lead of the night at 28 points following Carr's layup with 6:23 remaining. The Wildcats kept their lead above 20 points until the final three minutes when Sul Ross hit five of its last seven attempts.
The Wildcats complete their three-game homestand Tuesday at 7 p.m. with a rematch vs. Dallas Baptist. The Patriots beat ACU, 79-72, in the season opener for both teams at The Burg Center on Nov. 10.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated