ABILENE, Texas - Eric Moritz went 2 for 3 and drove in three runs, but McMurry University couldn't sustain a late rally against Colorado Christian University and dropped a 5-4 decision Sunday afternoon at Walt Driggers Field.
"Just too many mistakes," McM head coach John Byington said following the loss. "Errors really hurt us today, but you have to give Colorado Christian credit. They made some good plays on defense and the ball didn't bounce our way today."
The Cougars (1-2) scored one run in the top of the first inning and led throughout the contest. CCU added two runs in the fifth inning and once in the top half of the eighth before the McM bats showed life.
Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the eighth, Greg Koll (Burbank, Calif./Pierce College) doubled to center field and advanced to third base on a throwing error to put a runner in scoring position. Moritz (San Antonio, Texas/Churchill HS) singled to left field to bring home Koll and give the War Hawks life. Moments later Nick Marsh (Cypress, Texas/Cy-Woods HS) doubled through the left side and Mortiz advanced to third base. Kyle Sargent (Weatherford, Texas/Tyler JC) brought home Moritz on the fielder's choice, however, Marsh tried to score from second base and was thrown out at home.
Mitch Labbie (San Mateo, Calif./Canada JC) was tagged with the loss for the War Hawks. He tossed five innings, allowed five hits and four runs and no walks and struck out four.
Koll finished 1 for 3 and drew two walks.
McM (2-3) returns to the diamond Tuesday afternoon and play host to Arlington Baptist College.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program