ABILENE, Texas - Eric Moritz went 2 for 3 and drove in three runs, but McMurry University couldn't sustain a late rally against Colorado Christian University and dropped a 5-4 decision Sunday afternoon at Walt Driggers Field.
"Just too many mistakes," McM head coach John Byington said following the loss. "Errors really hurt us today, but you have to give Colorado Christian credit. They made some good plays on defense and the ball didn't bounce our way today."
The Cougars (1-2) scored one run in the top of the first inning and led throughout the contest. CCU added two runs in the fifth inning and once in the top half of the eighth before the McM bats showed life.
Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the eighth, Greg Koll (Burbank, Calif./Pierce College) doubled to center field and advanced to third base on a throwing error to put a runner in scoring position. Moritz (San Antonio, Texas/Churchill HS) singled to left field to bring home Koll and give the War Hawks life. Moments later Nick Marsh (Cypress, Texas/Cy-Woods HS) doubled through the left side and Mortiz advanced to third base. Kyle Sargent (Weatherford, Texas/Tyler JC) brought home Moritz on the fielder's choice, however, Marsh tried to score from second base and was thrown out at home.
Mitch Labbie (San Mateo, Calif./Canada JC) was tagged with the loss for the War Hawks. He tossed five innings, allowed five hits and four runs and no walks and struck out four.
Koll finished 1 for 3 and drew two walks.
McM (2-3) returns to the diamond Tuesday afternoon and play host to Arlington Baptist College.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer