ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University baseball team used great defense and opportunistic offense and swept Colorado Christian University, 3-2 and 10-2, in a Saturday doubleheader at Walt Driggers Field.
"I think we are coming along," McM head coach John Byington said following the second game. "We had better at bats overall today and it was nice to see our offense come through. I think we played relaxed in the second game and that helped with our overall confidence."
In the first game of the twin bill the War Hawks won in dramatic fashion. Tied at 2-2, Eric Moritz (San Antonio, Texas/Churchill HS) doubled to center field, and moments later Zack Hagan (Round Rock, Texas/Temple College) hit a frozen rope to center field, which brought Mortiz home to clinch the walk-off win.
Moritz finished 2 for 3 – including a two-run homer to left field.
Caleb Gonzales (Eldorado, Texas/Sonora HS) earned the win for the War Hawks. In 1.1 innings of relief duty, he allowed one hit, no runs and no walks and struck out two batters.
Lanny Zier (Southlake, Texas/UNC Ashville) earned the no decision – but pitched well in 5.2 innings of action. He allowed two hits, two runs and two walks, while striking out six.
Game one featured low scoring and great defense, game two was for fans that enjoy offense – and there was plenty of it.
Kyle Sargent (Weatherford, Texas/Tyler KC) and Moritz each knocked home three RBIs and McM easily cruised to a 10-2 win.
Despite the offensive explosion, it was Joel DePorte (Fremont, Calif./Ohlone College) who kept the Cougars off balance.
He tossed seven innings and allowed four hits; one run and one walk and struck out eight.
"Joel (DePorte) pitched well and did a good job of throwing strikes," Byington said. "Towards the end he was a little tired but he fought through it and did a great job."
Ben Douglas (Moose Jaw, Sask./College of Southern Idaho), Jeffers Rader (Dallas, Texas/Dallas Jesuit HS), Christian Simmons (Lubbock, Texas/Cisco JC)and Greg Koll (Burbank, Calif./Pierce College) each added RBIs.
McM and CCU return to the diamond Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. for a single nine-inning affair.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated