BETHANY, Okla. - The McMurry University volleyball team finished 1-1 at the first day of the 2013 National Christian College Athletic Association Central Regional Tournament at the Sawyer Center on the campus of Southern Nazarene University.
In the evening session the War Hawks swept Southwest Assemblies of God (16-17) by scores of 25-16, 27-25 and 31-29.
Peyton Evans (Riverton, Utah/Western Texas College) led a balanced War Hawk attack. The senior finished with a team-high 11 kills, 23 assists and nine digs.
Sophomore Taylor Seaton (Big Spring, Texas/Big Spring HS) and senior Kasi Conners (Abilene, Texas/Abilene HS) were disruptive forces at the net. Seaton chipped in eight kills and four blocks and finished with a match-high .538 hitting percentage. Conners helped out with nine kills, six blocks and a .304 hitting percentage.
Kayla Hines (Robinson, Texas/Robinson HS) contributed eight kills and Catherine Heath (Liberty Hill, Texas/Liberty Hill HS) dropped in seven kills.
In the morning session McMurry dropped a 3-1 (26-24, 17-25, 25-19, 25-18) decision to Southern Nazarene (23-9).
Evans led the War Hawks with 18 kills, 20 assists and 13 digs to complete the triple-double.
McM (15-16) returns to action Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. and do battle with Oklahoma Wesleyan.
After pool play is complete the two teams with the best overall record will meet in the NCCAA Central Regional championship match at 7:30 p.m.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer