CLINTON, Miss. - Hardin-Simmons' men's soccer team rallied for a 2-1 win over Mary Hardin-Baylor on Thursday in Clinton, Miss., to advance to the American Southwest Conference Championship Tournament Semifinals against the host Choctaws.
The teams had played a defensive struggle for the first 66 minutes before the Cru got on the scoreboard on a Derek Geels goal. It was his 11th of the season.
The Cowboys countered with a goal off a corner kick in the 69th minute as Matt Pitcock served a perfect ball to Zach Johnson, who finished it for the 10th time this season.
HSU took the lead less than five minutes later when Pitcock again served a corner and the freshman Beal headed it home for his third goal of the year.
Both teams had 11 shots in the game.
Sam Potter earned the win in goal for the Cowboys with four saves. Brandon Stegmeyer had two saves for UMHB in the loss.
The Cowboys will play Mississippi College at 11 a.m. on Friday. UMHB fell to 10-6-1 on the year and HSU improved to 10-6-1.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Updated College Station police say 2 killed in apartment gunfire
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Lingering rain chances through the week
- Updated Dallas police squelch critics, questions about sniper attack
- Updated Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire