GEORGETOWN, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team picked up an 8-2 win over Southwestern on Tuesday evening in non-conference action at Rockwell Field in Georgetown.
The Cowboys were dominant on the mound after Southwestern scored first with a pair of runs on a Chase Allen single in the second. After that Colton Shea hit into a double play to end the inning and the Pirates had only two base runners the rest of the way and both were erased on double plays.
HSU scored a run on a passed ball in the third and then added three runs in the fourth inning.
Colson Craddick led off the inning being hit by a pitch and Zack Patino followed with a single to left. Caleb Jacques walked after Jared Jacques popped up. They all moved up on a passed ball scoring Craddick. Jason Vause had an RBI single and Jacques was thrown out at the plate on the play. Zack de Luna followed with an RBI double.
HSU scored a run in the sixth on a Craddick bases loaded walk and scored two runs on a failed pickoff attempt that was thrown away in the eighth. Vause also had an RBI single in the eighth.
Brandon Bollinger was solid for the Cowboys. After allowing a two-run single in the second he allowed only one batter to reach the rest of the way and that was on an error. He immediately forced a double play to retire that runner and sat down what amounted to 16 batters in a row. He allowed just three hits and improved to 4-5 on the year.
Kyle Barnett worked three innings of shutout ball and allowed just one hit, which was also erased on a double play. Alex Bradley worked a scoreless ninth.
Vause and Patino had three hits each for the Cowboys. Tyler Bludau had two of the four Southwestern hits.
Southwestern used seven pitchers and walked 13 batters and hit three more. Tyler Poi took the loss.
The Cowboys are now 12-15 on the year and Southwestern fell to 10-23. HSU will host Mary Hardin-Baylor in American Southwest Conference action this weekend.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated